Alt Gr key troubles in FreeBSD

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Mon Jul 10 14:39:38 UTC 2006

nocturnal wrote:

> i noticed major issues with Alt Gr keys. I think
> they're called deadkeys in the X.org configuration. It's mainly because
> i'm from sweden and have all the important characters like {, [, ], },
> among others, on keys that require the Alt Gr key to be pressed for me
> to use them. It's hard to reproduce the problem as sometimes i can type
> at very high speed and still not have a problem when i hit an alt gr
> character and other times i type really slow but get stuck on the alt gr
> characters.

Dead keys AFAIK refers to the keys you normally use to compose other
characters with, such as ^ which you normally use to write a character
like â or ~ to write ñ. The keys you refer to, {},[] are not "dead" keys.

While I have had problems with _dead keys_ in some programs, I have
never had problems with the characters you mention (I use a danish
keyboard).

One thing I have noticed is that this may be application specific, you
may be able to write the character in one program under X but not in
another. I had for example a problem writing ñ with eterm while it
worked perfectly in xterm.

Some programs allow or require you to set these things separately, for
example xemacs and thunderbird.

> I'd love it if someone could point me in the right direction because i
> suspect this could be something i need to take up with the x.org people.

First check if this problem occurs in all applications or just some
applications, do also try xterm and vi under xterm. Also, try on a plain
console without X. And check your keyboard setting in your XF86Config.

If the problem is specific to some applications, post which.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt