sshd not working

Elijah Savage esavage at reyrey.net
Sun Jul 9 19:38:39 UTC 2006

On Jul 9, 2006, at 3:03 PM, Darrin Chandler wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 02:55:41PM -0400, Elijah Savage wrote:
>> I just did a fresh install of FreeBSD 6.1 I enabled ssh on startup. I
>> can see that it is running from the console but it is not accepting
>> ssh connections across the network. I can ping the machine and nmap
>> the machine and see ssh port 22 open, also /etc/rc.conf shows ssh
>> enabled what am I missing?
>
> Since port 22 is open, try the -v switch on the client side and see
> where and what isn't working. If it's a config problem between what
> the
> server will accept and what the client is trying it should show up
> there.
>
> Also check syslog to see if something funky happened on the server
> side.
>
> --
> Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
> dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
> http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

Well thank you for the reply but it was the network card. I am not
sure if I should take it back or not. It is a brand new network D
Link GigE card realtek chipset RTL8169. This was such strange
behavior, I could get out from the machine but could not get into it
across the network. I just replaced it with a Intel 100mb fxp0 and
everything works now. Sort of sucks my server will be runnning at
100mb and every other client at GigE.

I made sure my card was on the list so it could be bad I suppose.

The re(4) driver supports RealTek RTL8139C+, RTL8169, RTL8169S and
RTL8110S based Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet adapters including:

     *

       Alloy Computer Products EtherGOLD 1439E 10/100 (8139C+)
     *

       Compaq Evo N1015v Integrated Ethernet (8139C+)
     *

       Corega CG-LAPCIGT Gigabit Ethernet (8169S)
     *

       D-Link DGE-528(T) Gigabit Ethernet (8169S)
     *

       Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 Integrated Gigabit Ethernet (8110S)
     *

       LevelOne GNC-0105T (8169S)
     *

       PLANEX COMMUNICATIONS Inc. GN-1200TC (8169S)
     *

       Xterasys XN-152 10/100/1000 NIC (8169)

Thank you