using fping to monitor internet connection status

Paul Hamilton paulh at bdug.org.au
Sun Jul 9 14:56:15 UTC 2006

Hi All,

Thanks for your input.  I was hoping there was another cmd/util out there
similar to fping that I could elegantly use.  I like the above idea though,
so I ended up using this to isolate the upstream ISP gateway IP:

 traceroute -nm 2 <close-by Internet IP> | tail -1 | awk '{ print $2 }'

Integrated that into the fping Perl script and we are away!

Thanks once again  :-)

Cheers,

Paul Hamilton
While the cats away - the mice do play!