HD Errors

Gayn Winters gayn.winters at bristolsystems.com
Sat Jul 8 15:59:02 UTC 2006

Hello Robert,

Please don't top post.  It is difficult for someone joining the
conversation to understand what is going on and to help.

Have you taken Tamouh's advice and backed up your data?  If not, do it
now!

Regarding size:  What size differences do you see?  Maxtor's
diagnostics, BIOS, dmesg, fdisk, etc?  I doubt this is your problem.

Cables:  Be sure you've got good and proper cables, that the drive's
jumper is set appropriately to master or slave (and not to Auto), that
both ends are tight as is the power cable.

Heat:  Does the drive feel extraordinarily hot?  If so, replace it now!

Does FreeBSD eventually boot and run?  I.e., does it get past resettings
of the hard drive ad0?  If so, then you should definitely run the more
exhaustive diagnostics.  (Do this AFTER you are sure of your cabling and
AFTER your backup.)  Given your problem, I wouldn't put too much faith
in the quick diagnostics.

You could try "refreshing" your drive:
dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad0 bs=1m

I notice the whole bus ata0 reset a couple times.  Do you have another
drive that you can put into that machine and see if you get the same
errors?  If so, you may just need to give up on that board.  You could
see if Dell has diagnostics for your P133v, and if they do, run them.

Most likely the errors you see in dmesg are occuring on most reads and
writes, and hence your performance is going to be bad.  It will also get
worse whether it is the bus or the drive.  If you can't find and fix
your problem, make sure your backups are frequent...

Do you have a small slice on your 120G drive that you could devote to
Red Hat (or Fedora)?  If so, and if it gives similar error messages,
then Dell support would help you.

Good luck,

-gayn