Unable to boost maxusers in custom kernel.

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Jul 7 17:17:52 UTC 2006

Worth Bishop wrote:
> Thanks Kevin -
>
>> First, I guess, be sure that it's using the file
>> you're specifying.
>
> I've sure wondered about this. As I've compiled & installed the custom
> kernels, I've watched the changes in the size & date/time stamp to the
> /kernel binary file. It's definitely changing, and I think I've done
> everything I'm supposed to to tell the system what kernel file to use.
> I've gone so far as to copy the /kernel file into /kernel.GENERIC
> (keeping a backup kernel.GENERIC) with the same results.
>
> What troubles me is that every time I reboot I see:  FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE
> #0: Sat Apr 21 10:54:49 GMT 2001
> jkh at narf.osd.bsdi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC in the messages. I
> don't see :/usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL, even though I've changed the
> ident line and every other reference to GENERIC I can find in the
> configuration file to MYKERNEL.

This is the output of "uname -a", I'm quite sure, and therefore is
a reference to the userland, and the kernel that was in place when
it was built.  If the kernel has a different date/time, etc., then
you've built it just fine...question is, what's up with the MAXUSERS
thing.

> What else can I do to ensure that the system is using the kernel I
> intend it to use?

That's about it.

> I've not tried setting maxusers to "0" but will. And as for
> patches...well, I kind of inherited this system and am guessing patches
> have been sporadically applied if at all. My own expertise is all OJT
> and what I've gleaned from manuals, online help, folks like you, etc. My
> inclination is to upgrade ASAP to newest release, but as this is a
> production system with no hot spare and those who control it are
> fanatically opposed to any downtime...it may need to reach crisis point
> before that can be done.
>
> Thanks again for any suggestions!
>
> Worth Bishop

I'm not sure I've any further suggestions.  I've pretty much decided
to keep close to updated; however, and somewhat unfortunately perhaps,
I've no boxes so "busy" and "mission-critical" that they can't be
rebooted now and again.....

Kevin Kinsey

--
No problem is insoluble in all conceivable circumstances.