CPUTYPE for VIA EPIA EDEN in /etc/make.conf on FreeBSD 6.1

Owen G owen_pg at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 13:10:31 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to get a little more speed out of my 600MHz mini-itx box as
I convert it into a FReeBSD fileserver (with GUI) . . .

I'm trying to find the right settings for /etc/make.conf and would
appreciate your help.

dmesg.boot shows the processor as being:

CPU: VIA C3 Samuel 2 (601.37-MHz 686-class CPU)
 Origin = "Centaurhauls" Id = 0x673 Stepping = 3
 Features=0x803035<FPU,DE,TSC,MSR,MTRR,PGE,MMX>

Some Linux distributions say that this should be thought of as a Cyrix
C3 processor but that isn't on the list of FreeBSD options for CPUTYPE
. . .

There's nothing that I can see from the BSD side in the archives or in
the file:
/usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf
that looks like a suitable CPUTYPE . . .

I've not seen any documentation on the other remarked out CPU options
for /etc/make.conf either:

NO_CPU_CFLAGS=
NO_CPU_COPTFLAGS=
and
CFLAGS= -0 -pipe

Any ideas on any of the 4 options for this CPU gratefully accepted.

(I have got the GENERIC kernel changed correctly - hopefully)

Thanks in anticpation,

Owen