jail login and replication problems

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Fri Jul 7 07:00:18 UTC 2006

On Jul 7, 2006, at 12:41 AM, Philippe Lang wrote:

> owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
>
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I've had the
>> exact same problem, and have tried various different things
>> to resolve it... all to no avail. It's really annoying have
>> to remake the jail from scratch every time, as I'd much
>> rather do the configuration once, and use it as a
>> cookie-cutter for future jails.
>
> Hi,
>
> For duplicating jail, use the utility called "cpdup". Tar does not
> work for this.

Why not?  I use it (though in a modified way -- I tar a base jail
without /bin /usr etc but with /etc etc and then I use nullfs mounts
to duplicate one base jail install.

But my /etc in each jail is copied with tar (as is a bunch of stuff
including the base / with dirs for usr bin sbin etc) and it works

Chad

> Bye
>
> Philippe
>
>> Patrick
>>
>> On 7/26/05, Dan Rue <drue at therub.org> wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I am setting up multiple jails on a machine.  The first jail,
>>> everything works fine.  If I add a user, that user can log in.  If I
>>> tar cvzpf the jail, tar xvzpf to create a new one, some people can
>>> log into the new jail, and some can not.
>>>
>>> The user that can log in to the new one was the first user created
>>> (me), but any subsequent users can not log into new jails..
>>>
>>> The symptom is right after accepting the password via ssh, the
>>> connection will just get dropped.  I could not find any good error
>>> messages using ssh..  But if I enable telnet and try to telnet in, I
>>> receive this error in /var/log/messages:
>>>
>>> Jul 26 16:11:46 jail3 login: _secure_path: cannot stat
>>> /home/user3/.login_conf: Permission denied Jul 26 16:11:46 jail3
>>> login: _secure_path: cannot stat /etc/login.conf: Permission denied
>>> Jul 26 16:11:46 jail3 login: _secure_path: cannot stat
>>> /home/user3/.login_conf: Permission denied Jul 26 16:11:46 jail3
>>> login: _secure_path: cannot stat /etc/login.conf: Permission denied
>>>
>>> The permissions on those files are fine.
>>>
>>> So what would cause that error in jails that have been replicated
>>> using tar, but only to some users?  I'm stumped..
>>>
>>> Here's my rc.conf exerpt:
>>>
>>> jail_enable="YES"
>>> jail_list="jail3"
>>> jail_socket_unixiproute_only="NO"
>>> jail_sysvipc_allow="YES"  # allow shared mem on all jails
>>>
>>> jail_jail3_rootdir="/jails/jail3"
>>> jail_jail3_hostname="jail3.example.com"
>>> jail_jail3_ip="10.0.0.203"
>>> jail_jail3_procfs_enable="YES"
>>> jail_jail3_devfs_enable="YES"
>>> jail_jail3_devfs_ruleset="devfsrules_jail"
>>>
>>> tia,
>>> Dan