jail login and replication problems

Glenn Dawson glenn at antimatter.net
Thu Jul 6 23:07:38 UTC 2006

At 03:41 PM 7/6/2006, patrick wrote:
>Hi Dan,
>
>Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I've had the exact same
>problem, and have tried various different things to resolve it... all
>to no avail. It's really annoying have to remake the jail from scratch
>every time, as I'd much rather do the configuration once, and use it
>as a cookie-cutter for future jails.

If you build the "template jail" in it's own partition and then
dump(8) it to a file, you can then restore(8) it to where ever it
needs to be and it will work fine.

If you don't have an empty partition to use, you can use mdconfig(8)
to create a vnode backed memory disk to build the template jail in.

I just finished putting together a system with about 20 jails that
were replicated that way.  They all worked fine.

-Glenn