maxusers -> kernel.maxfiles

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Jul 5 14:29:03 UTC 2006

Pietro Cerutti wrote:
> Hi list,
> today my home server stopped responding because of a "kern.maxfiles
> limit exceeded" problem.
>
> I noticed that the maxfiles MIB value was set to 1928, which I find
> ridiculous even for a small home server ( i386-6.1-RELEASE, mySQL,
> Apache, LDAP, Postfix, SSH, SFTP ).
>
> On my laptop, which is running 6.1-STABLE, this defaults to 25000.
>
> Reading [1] I discovered that this value is computed basing on the
> value of maxusers, which is supposed to be in the kernel configuration
> file.
>
> Since I didn't set the maxusers option in my kernel conf, I was
> expecting to find a default value somewhere, and here's where I
> miserably fail...
>
> So, could you please tell me:
> 1) where's the default for it?
> 2) how is the kern.maxfiles value exactly computed?

Warning, Pietro: IANAE.

2) Looks like (6-STABLE here) it's approximately
(kern.maxusers^5) ---  1) if you wish to set a different
value for kern.maxusers or kern.maxfiles, you do it in /boot/loader.conf.

You can see quite a bit about this in /boot/defaults/loader.conf.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey

P.S.  The doc in the link you sent does seem a little confusing.
Might be worth discussion on the docs list?

--
One good thing about music,
Well, it helps you feel no pain.