snort and mysql connection at start troubles

César Amaya csar at 123.com.sv
Tue Jul 4 19:39:25 UTC 2006

Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> César Amaya wrote:
>> Hi list
>>
>> I am installing SNORT 2.4.5 to log into a MySQL-5.1 database. snort
>> logs are being stored fine into the db, but whe the system start
>> snort fails because of this: snort[396]: FATAL ERROR: database:
>> mysql_error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
>> '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
>>
>> this is the configuration line in the snort.conf file
>>
>> output database: log, mysql, user=snortids password=PswIdS
>> dbname=snort host=localhost
>>
>> when I changed the 'localhost' name to 127.0.0.1 I got the following
>> error
>>
>> snort[401]: FATAL ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't connect to
>> MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (61)
>>
>> All of this happens at start time. After system started I start snort
>> manually and connect to mysql just fine.
>>
>> It seems that snort start earlier than mysql. I want to start mysql
>> earlier than snort but I don´t know how.
>>
>> Can some body help me?
>>

> I think you should take a look at rcorder(8).
>
> Kevin Kinsey

I got mysql-server to start before snort

proxy# rcorder /etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22.sh
/etc/rc.d/DAEMON
/etc/rc.d/LOGIN
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/snort
/etc/rc.d/ypxfrd

even though, I still have the same problem
snort[471]: FATAL ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't connect to local
MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

Any thought?