another newbie

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 2 22:54:18 UTC 2006

From: "Andrew Pantyukhin" <infofarmer at gmail.com>

> On 7/2/06, Isaac Friedman <yifriedman at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I am new to UNIX but know the basics of getting
>> around, writing simple shell scripts, etc. Is there
>> any way to use a short perl program as a shell script?
>
> sat64% cat << __END__ > ./script.pl
> #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
> print "Hello world!\n";
> __END__
> sat64% chmod a+x ./script.pl
> sat64% ./script.pl

Gee, Andrew, you didn't need to obfuscate it that way. At least
edit out your command prompts before posting it.

Isaac, what he meant is to create a file named "script.pl" containing
the two lines:
===8<--- snip
#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
print "Hello world!\n";
===8<--- snip

Then change its file mode to allow it to execute with the command:
chmod a+x ./script.pl

Finally execute the command by typing:
./script.pl

The "./" part of the chmod command is not strictly needed. But it
is needed when executing the command from your home directory or
most other directories. Your current directory is not implicitly on
the search path for executable files on most well setup "'ix" systems.

{^_^}   Joanne