Can't print to CUPS from Macintosh

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Sun Jul 2 13:21:15 UTC 2006

Hi,
I need some help getting a FreeBSD print server to print jobs from my
Mac.
Previous versions of CUPS worked perfect on the same computer(s),
same version of FreeBSD.

FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p2, cups-1.2.0, Mac OS X 10.4.7

Printing a test page from the web interface works fine, and the
printer is on my browse list on the Mac, but printing from the Mac
doesn't work.

I've tried printing plain text, pdf, and MS Word for Mac files.
All fail with "/usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed"
displayed on the printer page of the web interface,

A single sheet of paper is ejected from the printer, with this:
Error: /undefined in Produced
                              Operand stack:
                                            Execution stack:
                                                               %
interp_exit     .ru
(Note the stair-step effect)

The error log is here: http://bubbabbq.homeunix.net/error_log

root at moe /root# cat /usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf
# Log general information in error_log - change "info" to "debug" for
# troubleshooting...
LogLevel debug

# Administrator user group...
SystemGroup wheel

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Listen 127.0.0.1:631
Listen 192.168.254.4:631
Listen /var/run/cups.sock

# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseAddress 192.168.254.255:631
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow from all

# Authenticate against system accounts by default...
DefaultAuthType Basic

# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />
   Order allow,deny
   Allow localhost
   Allow 192.168.254.3
</Location>

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
<Location /admin>
   Encryption Required
   Order allow,deny
   Allow localhost
   Allow 192.168.254.3
</Location>

# Restrict access to configuration files...
<Location /admin/conf>
   AuthType Basic
   Require user @SYSTEM
   Order allow,deny
   Allow localhost
   Allow 192.168.254.3
</Location>

# Set the default printer/job policies...
<Policy default>
   # Job-related operations must be done by the owner or an
adminstrator...
   <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job
Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-
Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job
Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
     Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
     Order deny,allow
   </Limit>

   # All administration operations require an adminstrator to
authenticate...
   <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes Enable-
Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs
Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-
Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-
After CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Class CUPS-Delete-
Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default>
     AuthType Basic
     Require user @SYSTEM
     Order deny,allow
   </Limit>

   # Only the owner or an administrator can cancel or authenticate a
job...
   <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
     Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
     Order deny,allow
   </Limit>

   <Limit All>
     Order deny,allow
   </Limit>
</Policy>

root at moe /root# cat /usr/local/etc/cups/printers.conf
# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.2.0
# Written by cupsd on 2006-07-01 17:16
<DefaultPrinter HP1100>
Info HP1100 LaserJet
Location Desktop