Urgent: Downgrading from 6.X to 5.X?

Paul Chvostek paul+fbsd at it.ca
Sun Jul 2 05:33:36 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 01:10:29AM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC writes:
>
> >I don't remember general complaints about nfs in the 6.x series here
> >in the list.
>
> Checkt he stable list. :-)
> Locking issues on server during heavy load.
> Background fsck + NFSD locking issues
> Clients freeze if server goes away.. soft mount option doesn help.

I've had ongoing problems with a 5.4 box that does boatloads of file IO
both on NFS and local disk (doing weird things with 10 to 12 GB of
Apache logs daily).  NFS seems to go away for a few seconds (the filer
is unpingable), then return.  Despite the 5.x branch's known problems, I
had attributed this to the fact that I'm using <cough> bge NICs.  I
moved most of this log processing to a 6.1-RELEASE box last week (on
identical hardware), and I've seen none of the timeouts.

Hardly scientific, but my $0.02 nonetheless

I'm using HP DL380-G4 servers (onboard bge, ciss RAID), with a BlueArc
Titan for NFS.  Of course, I'm not running nfsd on the FreeBSD boxes,
they're just clients.

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul at it.ca>
  it.canada                                            http://www.it.ca/