6.1-RELEASE Loader broken (work around)

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Sun Jul 2 04:39:15 UTC 2006

Micah wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I just upgraded via source from FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE to FreeBSD
> 6.1-RELEASE-p2 on my Compaq Presario M2000 laptop.
>
> I followed the procedures as outlined in the handbook basically:
> mergemaster -p
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
> reboot to single user
> mergemaster -p
> make isntallworld
> mergemaster
> reboot
>
> Basically all went well until the final reboot. I never get to the boot
> menu (the loader menu that used to have the ascii beastie on it).
> instead a screen appears for a split second and the laptop reboots. The
> only text I can make out after trying this many times is BTX. :( It's
> just up for too short a time to even try and figure out what's being
> displayed. Using a 6.0-RELEASE rescue disk I copied loader.old to
> loader, rebooted and the system boots fine, but now I'm using a 6.0
> loader with 6.1. Any clues on what could be wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Micah

I changed my grub settings and the 6.1 loader now works. Heres what my
menu.lst looks like now:

title FreeBSD 6.1 (hd0,1) (GRUB installed here)
	root (hd0,1,a)
#	kernel /boot/loader #doesn't work
	chainloader +1

Still looking for clues why "kernel /boot/loader" doesn't work on my
laptop with 6.1 while the exact same line worked with 6.0 and works fine
with 6.1 on my desktop. I'm wondering if it's a timing/deadlock issue
since using chainloader takes slightly longer than kernel...

Thanks,
Micah