permissions in devfs.conf don't stick

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Sat Jul 1 21:04:01 UTC 2006

Charles Howse wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2006, at 12:16 PM, Anish Mistry wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 01 July 2006 11:54, Charles Howse wrote:
>>> I've added the following to /etc/devfs.conf:
>>> own     lpt0    root:wheel
>>> perm    lpt0    0660
>>>
>>> Save that, then, # chmod 0660 /dev/lpt0
>>>
>>> When I reboot, the permissions revert to the default of 0600.
>>> Anyone know why that is?
>> man devfs.rules
>> http://am-productions.biz/docs/devfs.rules.php
>
> Sorry, this just isn't working for me.
>
> /etc/rc.conf contains:
> devfs_rulesets="/etc/defaults/devfs.rules /etc/devfs.rules"
> devfs_system_ruleset="local_rules"
>
> $ cat /etc/devfs.rules
> [local_rules=10]
> add path lpt0 mode 660 group wheel
>
> devfs does not complain when I restart it.
> I've tried:
> 'lpt*'
> 'lpt0*'
>
> No matter what, the permissions revert to 600 when I reboot.
> How about a little nudge in the right direction?  :)

Just a "me too."  I tried the rule quoted above on my 6.1 release
system, and it doesn't work here either. There are no devices attached
to the parallel port if that makes a difference.  I have several other
similar rules that /do/ work for ulpt, da*, and pass*, but the ltp*
device does not respond to my devfs.rules.

- Micah