FreeBSD 6.0 compat with DL320 G4

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Jul 1 19:39:09 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Antony Mawer" <fbsd-questions at mawer.org>
To: "William" <willay at gmail.com>
Cc: "Antony Mawer" <fbsd-questions at mawer.org>; "Ted Mittelstaedt"
<tedm at toybox.placo.com>; <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 11:07 PM
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 6.0 compat with DL320 G4

> On 30/06/2006 3:53 PM, William wrote:
> > Thanks for the email Antony, I'm awaiting delivery of the server so I
> > might have to order an intel card sharpish. What can I do the
> > server+fbsd 6.x to prove the lock up?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Will
>
> Configure the network card (bge0) and then do something to pass traffic
> across the network (eg. ping another host on the network). In our case,
> the machine booting at startup and the various network services starting
> up was enough to do it within seconds.

The patch I posted to the PR database fixes that problem.  Unfortunately
there
is another problem with the broadcom driver that affects many different
broadcom
chipsets, it's a timeout error.  I gave up trying to find that one.  The
timeout
error only affects certain broadcom chips.

> I have a copy of the Intel driver we used if you are looking to run this
> machine on FreeBSD 6.0 or 6.1; the standard driver in these releases
> will not support the Pro/1000 PT (at least the card we used).

You can order the PCI-X riser card for this server and use an Intel Pro 1000
MT Server
card and it will work out of the box with FreeBSD 6.1

Ted