DNS discovery / FreeBSD Firewall

Mark Moellering mark at msen.com
Sat Jul 1 03:44:52 UTC 2006

Hello,

	I have a FreeBSD 6.1 firewall (pf) between my cable-modem and router, with an
IP address set by DHCP.  My ISP recently changed their DNS server IP adresses
which I have set manually on the computers on my home office network.
	The questions is; How do I have the internal network machines get the DNS
server settings from the Firewall?  The two scenarios I can think of are:
that the Firewall also acts as a DHCP server and somehow set the DNS of the
internal net machines to the Firewalls resolv.conf entries; or I can have the
Firewall act as a DNS server/relay and forward the DNS requests.
	Is one of these preferable or easier than the other?  Are there other ways to
do this?  I feel there must be someone on this list who is doing the same
thing and has a solution or can at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

sincerely

Mark Moellering