Portsnap

Chris chrcoluk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 21:30:39 PST 2006

On 29/01/06, Donald J. O'Neill <donaldjoneill at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 28 January 2006 19:19, Chris wrote:
> >
> > Concerning speed I discovered the version in the ports tree is very
> > slow, I have portsnap running zippy when using fetch on 2 5.4 boxes
> > which I use the version in the base system, on 2 5.3 boxes and a 4.10
> > box I use the version from ports and portsnap fetch takes about 20-30
> > minutes to fetch 2000 port patches, which takes a few seconds on the
> > base version, I discovered the base version doesnt fetch from a url
> > but instead of a new server.  I contacted the dev and he confirmed
> > the ports version is old so I guess the ports maintainer needs to
> > update it until that is done I dont reccomend it for 5.3 and older.
> >
> > Chris
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I run two 6.0 stable boxes at home. I guess that's why one needs to ask
> what version of FreeBSD are you using? I'd never used portsnap until I
> was trying to put as much speed as I could into setting up the two 6.0
> boxes. I will remeber about 5.3 and older.
>
> Don

As previously mentioned on the 5 boxes,
2 run 5.3
2 run 5.4
1 runs 4.10
as portsnap is included in the base on 5.4 I just used that and it is very
fast, on 5.3 and 4.10 I installed from ports and is very slow but this is
because it uses an older method to fetch the patches I am told.  I will try
the -x next time I update.

Chris