Log file analyzer

Dan O'Connor dan at ferrarishields.com
Thu Jan 26 16:33:59 PST 2006

> Does anyone know of a good free log file analyzer that can show where
> visitors entering via a search term browsed?
>
> Ex. User xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx entered via a search for "puppies"
> visited /lab.html
> visited /care/fleas.html
> visited /beagle.html
> ended visit
>
> All of the free ones I know of only show a list of search terms - not
> any type of tracking.

Boy, wouldn't the Government LOVE to subpoena Google for that info!!!

Generally speaking, there's no way to track what links a user actually
clicks on in search results. Once a page has been delivered to the end
user, clicking on

    http://www.some_web_site_listed_in_search_results.com

won't notify the search engine that it's been clicked.

HOWEVER, if your search engine has a CGI script that redirects links,
you can track it. An <A> tag such as:

    <a
href="http://www.search_engine.com/track_my_ass.cgi?http://www.some_web_site_listed_in_search_results.com">
some_web_site_listed_in_search_results</a>

will return to the search engine server (or wherever you want) where it
can be logged and then forwarded to the actual destination.

So, it *is* possible, but the system needs to be set up ahead of time...

~Dan

--
FreeBSD Cheat Sheets
   http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/