VPN / Bridge

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Wed Jan 25 03:02:54 PST 2006

CC'd to freebsd-questions at freebsd.org again.

Bob Kersten <bob at fellownet.com> wrote:

> On 24-jan-2006, at 17:28, Fabian Keil wrote:
>
> >> What I want to achieve is what I believe a bridge between both
> >> networks. The entire network A should be on the same subnet as
> >> network B:
>
> > If you use FreeBSD 6.0 see man if_bridge, else see man bridge.
>
> So i've create a tunnel device gif0 and have it set to tunnel
> between the two public ip addresses. I've got stuck when i've tried
> to add this gif0 device to the bridge. FreeBSD complained and said
> that gif0 was not an ethernet device.
>
> Maybe you have a step-by-step solution?

Maybe someone else could help you if you would post your FreeBSD
version, the commands you used and the exact error message.

ATM I don't use a VPN therefore I can't give you a known to work
step-by-step solution. However I couldn't reproduce your problem
on 6.0 with the following commands:

root at TP51 ~ #ifconfig gif0 tunnel 1.2.3.4 5.6.7.8 up
root at TP51 ~ #ifconfig bridge0 create
root at TP51 ~ #ifconfig bridge0 addm ndis0 addm gif0 up
root at TP51 ~ #ifconfig bridge0
bridge0: flags=8043<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether ac:de:48:f4:4e:9c
        priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15 maxage 20
        member: gif0 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
        member: ndis0 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>

BTW: man if_config says all members of the bridge are required to
have the same MTU, but ifconfig doesn't seem to check it.
My setup wouldn't work as gif0 has a MTU of 1280.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/