IPFW / NFSD

Mark Frasa mark at frasa.net
Wed Jan 25 01:04:18 PST 2006

Hello,

I am currently running 1 HTTP server on FreeBSD 6.0

Offcourse, like anyone that likes security, i am running IPFW and set
the kernel to block by default.

Behind that HTTP server i am running 2 Linux boxes.

The problem is that when i enable the firewall and openup ports from
rpcinfo -p:

    program vers proto   port  service
     100000    4   tcp    111  rpcbind
     100000    3   tcp    111  rpcbind
     100000    2   tcp    111  rpcbind
     100000    4   udp    111  rpcbind
     100000    3   udp    111  rpcbind
     100000    2   udp    111  rpcbind
     100000    4 local    111  rpcbind
     100000    3 local    111  rpcbind
     100000    2 local    111  rpcbind
     100005    1   udp    668  mountd
     100005    3   udp    668  mountd
     100005    1   tcp    984  mountd
     100005    3   tcp    984  mountd
     100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
     100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
     100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
     100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs

I opened up all these ports but i cant do an ls or write to nfs or whatever.
Then i thought maybe it's trying something local so i added:

$cmd add 00225 allow ip from 1.2.3.4/24 to any keep-state

Even this does not work.

Tcpdump shows me that when i have ipfw open, it only communicates with
port 2049 and i don't see anything more.

Can anybody help me out here?

Additional info:

{ alltid at arcas } uname -a
FreeBSD arcas 6.0-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p1 #2: Wed Jan  4
15:45:38 UTC 2006     markfra at arcas:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ARCAS  i386

Mark.