Encrypted volume - how?

Kees Plonß freebsd at jeremino.homeunix.net
Sun Jan 22 15:39:02 PST 2006

Norberto Meijome wrote on Sunday 22 January 2006 23:39:

> Hi all,
> I'm looking for a way to recreate the functionality of PGP Disk (under
> Win32). Basically, create an encrypted file, which contains a filesystem
> which can then be mounted in any mount point.

Why don't you use gbde. It is in your distro at /sbin/gbde
Make a file with dd and format is with gbde and newfs:

dd if=/dev/random of=file bs=1k count=1000
gbde init /dev/md0
mdconfig -a -t vnode -f file
gbde init /dev/md0
gbde attach /dev/md0
newfs /dev/md0.bde
mount /dev/md0.bde /mnt

#and you are ready to use the filesystem at /mnt
#watch out for the sequence of umounting:

umount /dev/md0.bde
gbde detach /dev/md0

#for mounting you do:

gbde attach /dev/md0
mount /dev/md0.bde /mnt

--
Key-ID = 0xA6581435            E-mail address is valid but ipv6 only