information about distribution

Ceri Davies ceri at submonkey.net
Sun Jan 22 12:28:11 PST 2006

On 19 Jan 2006, at 15:20, Martin Rolinec wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I would like to make a web page on which I would like to sale Linux
> distibution to people, who don´t have an opportunity to download it
> from internet.
>
> So I have few questions about a licence:
>
> 1. I would like to ask, if I can download the CD images from your
>    distribution (iso-cd-dvd, live iso and so on) and offer them for
>    sale on my web page, thus if I can spread your distibution legaly
>    for a minimal charges?
>
> 2. CDs and DVDs I would like to sale with CD printing.../with Buble
>    Jet printer/. So I would like to ask you, if I can use your LOGO
>    and the LOGO of distibution and a color combination of your
>    distribution on the CD printing.
>
> PS: Of course with using of your LOGO and the color combination I
> regard all rights and duties involved in copyright.
>
> So, every customer, who will buy your distribution will be notified
> in writing, that:
>
> 1. distribution is dowloaded from web, from your ISO images
>
> 2. distribution is burned
>
> 3. the price of CD or DVD does not include the technical support in
>    all forms from you .
>
> 4. customer will be informed, that your LOGO, color and the name of
>    distribution is subject to your author´s right
>
> 5. customer will be informed, that the CD was burned by me, so I will
>    bear all problems coupled with its malfuncion.
>

> Thank you for your answers and I hope, that I will be able to
> spread your distribution without biggest problems.

Martin,

You can use the ISOs as long as you follow the terms at
http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/license.html.

Use of the daemon mascot requires that you obtain permission
from Marshall Kirk McKusick, as per the entry at
http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/daemon.html.

The "spacehopper" logo should be considered off-limits for now,
as we are still awaiting legal work regarding it.

We would appreciate it if you contributed a percentage of the proceeds
to the FreeBSD Foundation (http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/) in order
to help with further work, but you do not have to.

As another poster pointed out, please don't call FreeBSD Linux; it's
a different beast altogether.

Ceri
                                                   -- Moliere