Java Virtual Machine

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Sun Jan 22 11:31:41 PST 2006

martinko wrote:
> Micah wrote:
>> Porpoise Power wrote:
>>
>>> Which Java VM is the best for freebsd 5.4, running gnome2, and firefox?
>>>
>>> James Best
>>

>> Both the native jdk14 and jdk15 provide good Java VMs.  jdk15 is newer
>> and might be unstable (hasn't been for me).  jdk14 is more tested and
>> is the "default" java for FreeBSD on i386.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Micah
>
> can you have both versions installed ?
> and how do you choose which one of them to use (for instance in mozilla) ?
>
> m.

Yes, you can have both installed at the same time.
/usr/ports/java/javavmwrapper makes switching JVMs easy using
environment variables, however it doesn't seem to support switching
browser plugins.  For that you'd probably have to switch the symlink in
/usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins and restart the browser.

HTH,
Micah