PHP junk pointer error with imagick.so

Justin Meyer zhengyi at anarkismus.net
Fri Jan 20 10:11:30 PST 2006

Hi All,

I recently noticed running a phpinfo() page that the page would not
completely render. When I looked in /var/log/httpd-errors.log, I found
the following error every time I hit that page:

[Fri Jan 20 10:53:08 2006] [notice] child pid 88217 exit signal Abort
trap (6)
httpd in free(): error: junk pointer, too high to make sense

After successively commenting and uncommenting each extension I have for
php, I finally found the culprit extension to be imagick.so. I found the
commit message for ImageMagick 6.2.5.5 at
http://www.freshports.org/graphics/ImageMagick/ suggesting that there
were segfaults with earlier versions, and so on a hunch I did a
portupgrade -rf ImageMagick.

No dice; I still can't load the imagick.so extension to php without
running into these junk pointer errors.

FYI, here's the (I think) relevant ports I have installed:

apache+mod_ssl-1.3.34+2.8.25_2 ImageMagick-6.2.5.5 php4-4.4.2
php4-extensions-1.0 pecl-imagick-0.9.11_3

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Does anyone have any suggestions
as to how I might resolve it?

Thanks!

--
Justin