loosing hair inside canon printer...

ivan.roth at free.fr ivan.roth at free.fr
Wed Jan 18 15:30:56 PST 2006

Chris Hill wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, ivan.roth at free.fr wrote:
>
>> This said, I have this in dmesg:
>

> [snip]
>
>> Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
>> ppbus0: <Canon i865/1.13> PRINTER BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe
>

> [snip]
>
>> simple question: how freebsd know about the name of my printer?
>

> I imagine FreeBSD queries the parallel port to see what's there
> ("Probing..."), and then the printer responds with the information
> displayed above.
>
>> # chkprintcap
>> chkprintcap: WARNING: found 1 entries when skimming /etc/printcap
>> chkprintcap: WARNING: but only found 0 queues to process!
>

> Could it be there is no spool directory? There should be something like
>   :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:
> in /etc/printcap; make sure that directory exists.
>
> Also, is lpd running? What output does
>   ps -aux | grep lpd
> produce? The simplest way to run lpd is to put the following in
> /etc/rc.conf:
>
> lpd_enable="YES"        # Run the line printer daemon.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
> **                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying.
I got lpd_enable="YES", and lpd is running. I have the directory in
/etc/printcap created, and permissions are ok on it. I even tried to change my
printer's name (but I let lp as an alias I think it is mandatory for at least
the first printer, and I changed the directory in the sd variable in
/etc/printcap.

no change.

by the way, thanks for trying. Any other idea ?

--
Regards, Ivan.