PAE causing system crashes

Ted Wisniewski ted at ness.plymouth.edu
Wed Jan 18 05:03:51 PST 2006

You weren't by chance also using NFS?   I was, all my other 5.x systems did
not use NFS and are stable.  I saw this same behavior and wound up going back
to 4.11 to keep the system stable.

Ted

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 03:17 pm, Michael Barnett wrote:
> To ammend this slightly..  When running the PAE kernel, they will
> stay online indefinitely under little to no load.  It is only when i
> want them to actually work will they freak out and reboot.
>
> -m
>
> On Jan 17, 2006, at 1:47 PM, Michael Barnett wrote:
> > I have 3 dell machines with 2x xeon procs, 8G of ram, and a half
> > terabyte raid 5.  I attempted to run the AMD64 distribution on
> > these boxes which was fine for everything except mysql, (which is
> > all these boxes are going to do) so I reinstalled 5.4 i386.
> >
> > uname -a  looks like (hostname obscured):
> >
> > FreeBSD myhost.mydomain.com 5.4-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p9
> > #2: Mon Jan 16 23:27:12 PST 2006     root at myhost.mydomain.com:/usr/
> > obj/usr/src/sys/SMP-PAE  i386
> >

> > My problem is, if i don't enable PAE in the kernel, i can only
> > address half the ram in the boxes, but... the machines are stable.
> >
> > If i do enable PAE, i can address all the memory, but they randomly
> > reboot without dumping any errors or logging.
> >
> > To enable PAE, i am building and booting off the following kernel
> > config:
> >
> > <snip>
> > include PAE
> >
> > ident           SMP-PAE
> >
> > options         SMP
> > options         KVA_PAGES=512
> > </snip>
> >
> > I added the KVA_PAGES options hoping to stabilize the machine
> > (doesn't seem to have made any difference.)  The only other tuning
> > i am doing at the moment is in loader.conf:
> >
> > <snip>
> > kern.maxdsiz="2147483648"                # Set the max data size
> > </snip>
> >
> > When i boot without PAE I use the generic SMP kernel, and the
> > machine is stable.
> >
> > I know that there are a number of other kernel tunables i could be
> > tweaking, but I am not really sure where to start as the machine
> > dies silently.  I was hoping that someone who has run a stable PAE
> > kernel with 8G of ram + could point me in the right direction.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Michael

| Ted Wisniewski                    E-Mail: ted at mail.plymouth.edu        |
| Manager, Systems Group            WEB:    http://oz.plymouth.edu/~ted/ |
| Information Technology Services					 |
| Plymouth State University         Phone:  (603) 535-2661               |
| Plymouth NH, 03264                Fax:    (603) 535-2263               |