freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 121, Issue 28

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Jan 18 03:39:45 PST 2006

On 2006-01-18 13:06, Rithy- System Engineer <root at rithy4u.net> wrote:
> I got FreeBSD 5.3 release installed on my Server but its hard disk and
> mainboard are too old and i want to upgrade to FreeBSD 6.0 with new hard
> disk on the same PC how can i do this?
>
> is it necessary to install any third-party hardware or software?
> Rithy Ray
>
> System Engineer
> KhmerServer.NET Hosting
> E-mail: rithy_ray at khmerserver.net
>            sales at rithy4u.net
>            info at khmercentral.com
> H/P: +855-12-403-001
>
> [digest trimmed]

Please, just DON'T quote the text of an unrelated digest message,
including several irrelevant email messages, only to add a single
paragraph on top of it all.

There are probably many ways to do this.  I can think of at least
two right now:

    a) First move the installed system to the new disk, i.e. by
       using the process described here:

       http://keramida.serverhive.com/weblog/archives/2004-10-26/daemonizing-a-new-disk

       Then, when the system is up and running with its new disk,
       use the process described in the Handbook, to upgrade from
       5.X to 6.X from source:

       http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

    b) Remove the old disk.  Install a clean 6.0 system.  Re-add
       the old disk as a secondary disk, and restore whatever you
       want to keep from that one.