FreeBSD vs Linux

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue Jan 17 22:05:42 PST 2006

On Jan 17, 2006, at 3:00 PM, Tamouh H. wrote:

>> Just get a different sound card.  There are lotsof
>> inexpensive sounds cards that are probably supported by
>> FreeBSD for just a few (10-30) $
>>
>> Btw, this problem happens with Windows, Mac OS X, etc as
>> well.  I have been trying to put an extra USB/Firewire card
>> in my G5, and they work, but with weird side effects like
>> hanging IO.  My dad had some sound card issues on Windows
>> with "supported" cards.
>>
>> Chad
>>

> Oh come on, I've been working with all Linux, FreeBSD and Windows.
>
> Getting a different card is not the solution. It is actually an absurd
> suggestion which goes to prove further that Unix has not matured
> yet to
> compete with Microsoft.

You misunderstood what I said.   Sure there are lots of sound cards
out there for Windows and they are ALL "compatible" as Windows is the
target that they are all developed against.

My point was that Windows drivers often don't work the way they are
advertised, or require a specific version of Windows that is 5 years
old, or are not that stable.  The problem of not having a driver for
your specific version of Windows or having an unstable driver exists
on Windows just like it exists on FreeBSD.  There may be more choices
on Windows but that doesn't mean you don't have  problems with HW and
drivers.  Just ask my dad.  He has had to rebuild his Windows machine
a few times (software reinstall) when things get totally screwed up
and a wrong driver gets installed by accident and hoses everything
and it won't boot at all and the repair disks won't repair it.

> If you are looking for compatibility, Windows is the answer.

Compatibility with what? All my HW is FreeBSD compatible.

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider
chad at shire.net