partitioning "after the fact"

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Jan 17 15:12:48 PST 2006

> I guess I didn't plan well in my partitioning scheme for this laptop.
>
> I have a 15G primary partition #1 containing XP,
> 15G logical partition #2 containing empty space recovered from
>   a previous Linux install,
> 15G primary partition #3 containing FreeBSD, and the rest of
>  the disk unallocated.
>
> I think I already know the answer to my question but I wanted to ask
> to make certain.  I would like to make partition #2 to also contain
> FreeBSD.  But if I remember correctly there is no way to do such a
> thing without starting all over again in setting up the disk.

I am not sure about turning it into a primary slice from a logical partition.
If fdisk can see it as da0s2 (or ad0s2) then it is easy.  Just use fdisk
to turn it into a FreeBSD type slice (type 165) and then make a
single (or more if you want) partition on it with disklabel/bsdlabel.

It would then be mountable as /dev/da0s2a (or /dev/ad0s2a).

////jerry