log file rotation

Garance A Drosehn gad at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 17 12:15:26 PST 2006

At 9:23 AM -0600 1/17/06, Jason King wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 09:16 -0600, David Kelly wrote:
>>  On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 07:23:25AM -0600, Jason King wrote:
>>  > Hmm, when I run newsyslog I get the following message:
>>  >
>>  > root at mail# newsyslog -vv
>>  > newsyslog: malformed 'at' value:
>  > > /var/log/clamd.log                      640  3     *    $T00
>>  > BJ /var/run/clamd.pid  1
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > Any ideas?
>>
>  > Use @T00 rather than $T00
>
>It is already @T00. I don't know why it appears as a $ in the email.
>Just did a copy paste. Go figure on that one. Any other thoughts?

If newsyslog is saying that's a bad 'at' value, then there is
*something* wrong with that line.  Maybe there's some non-printing
character in it, which might be why we see $T00 instead of @T00.
But as long as newsyslog thinks there is something wrong with the
'at' value on that line, then it will not rotate the files.  Maybe
you have multiple lines for the same logfile, one with $T00 and
one with @T00.

Also, you don't need to specify the '1' at the end, since that is
just SIGHUP, and newsyslog defaults to using SIGHUP unless you give
it some other value.  Including the '1' should not cause any problem,
though.

Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad at FreeBSD.org