FreeBSD vs Linux

Mike Hernandez sequethin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 10:55:25 PST 2006

On  Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 10:38:24AM -0800, Danial Thom wrote:

> No, thats ridiculous. Linux has multiple
> distributions that use the same kernel. The fact
> that freebsd only has one distribution doesn't
> make it any more complete.

"Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in a combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU, with Linux functioning as its kernel."

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

Google for "linux is a kernel".

Doesn't make FreeBSD "better". Just means that when you say FreeBSD you
refer to an entire OS and when you say Linux you refer to a kernel.

Mike

PS we all know the most important difference anyway: linux has a penguin. ;)