rpm equivalent to 'pkg_add -r'?

Robert Slade bsd at bathnetworks.com
Tue Jan 17 00:49:04 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 08:36, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2006, at 11:17 PM, Gregory Nou wrote:
>
> > Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >> As the subject asks, is there an equivalent?  I'm trying to
> >> install linux apache2 on a FreeBSD box, and would like have rpm do
> >> as much as possible as far as getting the dependencies and
> >> downloading them ...
> >> baring this, is there a better tool to use then rpm?
> >> thanks ...
> >> ----
> >> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://
> >> www.hub.org)
> >> Email: scrappy at hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy
> >> ICQ: 7615664
> >>
> > look at the end of rpm man page, there is a section INSTALL AND
> > UPGRADE OPTIONS.
> > Concerning other tools, the poor experience I have with RH showed
> > me that rpm is a great tool. Maybe you may try yum, which, iirc, is
> > a GUI for rpm.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > --
> > Gregory
>
> 	Actually yum's a means for updating that's meant to replace the
> Redhat Network Tool or whatever it was called back in RH9.0 and RHE,
> which comes as primarily a command line tool I thought. As far as I
> know is only available for Fedora-a product primarily made for
> desktop users made by Redhat.
> -Garrett

To clear up a couple of points: YUM is a Redhat tool but is a command
line one. It works on all Redhat derived systems not just Fedora. BTW
Fedora is not made by Redhat but is sponsored by them - they use it as a
test platform.

What I don't understand why the OP is installing Linux Apachie2 from
rpms when there is a perfectly good port for BSD which handles the
dependencies and the different locations of files, scripts etc.

Rob