message appears at prompt

Robert Slade bsd at bathnetworks.com
Sun Jan 15 11:07:39 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 18:50, je killen wrote:
> The following messages are appearing at my terminal on a frequent basis:
>
> (Jan 15 09:23:05 e-mach login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON ttyv0
> Jan 15 09:25:43 e-mach login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON ttyv0 ....preceeding
> from /var/log/messages)
> (these are the messages of concern:)
> Jan 15 09:32:54 e-mach inetd[503]: ssh/tcp: bind: Address already in use
> Jan 15 09:42:54 e-mach inetd[503]: ssh/tcp: bind: Address already in use
> Jan 15 09:52:54 e-mach inetd[503]: ssh/tcp: bind: Address already in use
> The question is:
> What is going on here?
> It appears to be a conflict as one process is trying to bind to an
> address that is being used by another process
> However, I don't know if that is what 'bind' is in this context. If it
> doesn't mean DNS BIND then that eliminates
> that possibility.
> Please excuse my newbe question but I hope it doesn't mean that
> someone's script has snuck onto my
> machine from the network and beyond. These messages are appearing when
> the proxy/router machine
> is not even turned on.
> I would chase this down myself and not use the list but I don't know
> enough of where to look.
> The only clue I have is that sshd starts on boot and is also enabled in
> inetd.conf. Could this
> be the conflict?
> Thanks so much
> JK

Hi JK,

You have probably got sshd enabled twice, once in rc.conf and once in
inetd. What is happening is that the 2nd copy of sshd enabled in inetd
is trying to bind to the adresses already in use by the 1st copy enabled
in /etc/rc.conf.

One of the things is that BSD tends to use is the rc.d route to start
apps whereas linux tends to use the inetd route. Note there is no run
levels as such in bsd. Once you get used to it it quite simple to pop a
script into /usr/local/etc/rc.d and call it from /etc/rc.conf with a
something_enable="YES"

Rob

Rob