Which is the best open source C/C++ IDE out there?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sat Jan 14 11:15:24 PST 2006

On 2006-01-14 13:00, JD Arnold <jdarnold at buddydog.org> wrote:
> Chuck Robey wrote:
> > At one point in my career (in school, lisp programming) I
> > learned/used emacs.  I admit, it's got so much power, there
> > isn't even a close competitor.  BUT at that time, I had a
> > genius girl programmer at my side, and she helped me with
> > emacs syntax so heavily it was funny, and so I could make use
> > of emacs without really having to scale the learning curve.
> >
> > If I'd actually had to scale that learning curve, do you
> > think I would have, even COULD have used emacs?  One of the
> > worst things I had happen, I needed, one year later, to go
> > back to vi for a job, and just forgot enough emacs usages,
> > and never went back.  I'd love to, but I'd have to find
> > another genius Lisp girlfriend, before I could do that.
> >
> > Likely?  That's why emacs isn't the world's most popular
> > editor/IDE.
>
> A couple of notes on this: [...]
>
> * I'm not sure why you'd "have to go back to vi for a job". Why
> would anyone care what editor you use, as long as you get the
> job done? I've worked in many companies, using many different
> platforms, and I've always used Emacs.

I'm sure Chuck, who is a very regular contributor to the lists,
posting useful, knowledgeable replies, is not trying to troll
against Emacs, but stating something that has been his personal
experience :)

I can definitely understand that, under certain circumstances,
one may have to switch tools for political rather than really
technical reasons.  I have worked at places where we were not
allowed to install 'extra' programs in the development machines,
to avoid creating dependencies that the official build machines
would not be able to satisfy.  This had the silly side-effect
that it was not possible to install a snapshot of Emacs on the
development machines, so all we had was /usr/bin/vi.

Having said that, I can usually install Emacs, either as a
supported system package, or by bootstrapping it from source with
--prefix="$HOME/opt", so I'm also using Emacs as my "IDE" for
around 12 years now.