System hangs for 30 minutes before booting normally into freebsd 6.0

Ravi Kumar ravee_26 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 11:40:25 PST 2006

Hello,
   I am a new convert to freebsd 6.0. I installed it
on one of my old machine - a celeron 333 MHz, 98 MB
RAM, with ISA slots. While installing it on my system,
I faced a problem that it took a long time to load the
freebsd installer menu. So I rebooted and selected the
FreeBSD installation in verbose mode.

This is the verbose output snippet I recieved:

pci0: <bridge> at device 73 (no drivers attached)
pci0: <display, VGA> at device 16.0 (no driver
attached)
ex_isa_identify()
ata: ata0 already exists; skipping it
ata: ata1 already exists; skipping it

pnp_identify: Trying Read_Port at 203
pnp_identify: Trying Read_Port at 243
pnp_identify: Trying Read_Port at 283
pnp_identify: Trying Read_Port at 2c3
pnp_identify: Trying Read_Port at 303
pnp_identify: Trying Read_Port at 343
pnp_identify: Trying Read_Port at 383

The problem is the last 8 lines above. It is I believe
scanning some ports and is taking such a long time.
After this the normal booting is quite fast.

Is there any way I can disable this process of
scanning that is taking place? After installing
freebsd, each time I boot into it, it hangs for 30
minutes at the code snippet above.

My uname -a command gave the following output.

FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Nov 3
09:36:13 UTC 2005
root at x64.samco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

Looking forward to a reply to this problem.

Kind regards
Ravi