httpd could not be started

Steven Narmontas snarmont at wnec.edu
Fri Jan 13 09:58:04 PST 2006

I'm entirely new to FreeBSD, but have a fair amount of Linux
experience.

I installed FreeBSD 6.0 (Production Release) on an oldish i386
system.  During the install, I asked to install "ALL".  The
install went flawlessly.

I need Apache on this system for some software development, so I
followed these instructions I found at:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html
:

# pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui
# cvsup -L 2 -h cvsup.FreeBSD.org
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
# cd /usr/ports/www/apache13
# make
# make install

Everything to this point went smoothly!  I edited
/usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf ONLY to set the ServerName to the
IP address of the machine. However, when I try to start apache I
get:

#/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start
/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

I can't start apache.  Here's a configtest:

#/usr/local/sbin/apachectl configtest
Syntax OK

Apache also won't start if I bypass the apachectl script and start
it directly. However it doesn't report any errors either:

# /usr/local/sbin/httpd
#

Everything up above is with a completely fresh install of FreeBSD
6.  I didn't mess around with anything on the system.  I followed
the above steps exactly. (As I side note, I've struggled with this
for two days, and have installed FreeBSD at least 6 times trying
differnet things.  I can't get Apache to start. On previous
installs, I tried using apache22 with the same results.)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get ANY version of
Apache running on a new install of FreeBSD 6?

Thanks,
Steven Narmontas