{Spam?} Re: patches and uname -a

Roberto Nunnari roberto.nunnari at supsi.ch
Thu Jan 12 12:04:08 PST 2006

Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 03:26:22PM +0100, Roberto Nunnari wrote:
>
>>Ceri Davies wrote:

>>>Recompiling the kernel is the correct way to change the output of
>>>uname(1), but before you do so, you should be aware that that patch
>>>number is taken from the BRANCH variable in src/sys/conf/newvers.sh.
>>>Check that it says "5.3-RELEASE-p24" before you waste time  recompiling
>>>the kernel.
>>>
>>>Ceri
>>
>>Thank you Ceri and Jaap for your time.
>>
>>Ceri, edit src/sys/conf/newvers.sh and replace
>>
>>BRANCH="RELEASE-p23"
>>with
>>BRANCH="RELEASE-p24"
>>
>>would be enough??
>

> That would work, but if you don't already have that string then there is
> a possibility that you don't have all the patches, so please only change
> it if you are %100 sure that you have.  I cannot stress that enough.
>
> Ceri

I checked the patches (cpio.patch ee.patch texindex5x.patch) and none
of them tries to change src/sys/conf/newvers.sh nor src/UPDATING

Also, I checked the output while applying the patches and there
were no errors.

So.. as I didn't find any other patches that are post p23, I edited
newvers.sh, build a new kernel and rebooted. uname -r is now happy.

Thank you again.

Best regards.
--
Robi