limiting Buf memory

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Jan 12 05:17:02 PST 2006

Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at tensor.3miasto.net> writes:

> on my 1GB machine:
>
> Mem: 529M Active, 209M Inact, 149M Wired, 38M Cache, 109M Buf, 1772K Free
>
> while "Cache" is dynamic, Buf is not and never goes down.
>
> how can i get it down to somehow like 40MB?

I can't think of a way to do that.
On the other hand, I can't think of a reason you would want to, either.

You have plenty of memory available, so I can't imagine why you'd want
to take the performance hit of reducing the buffer space.

And: buffer use *is* dynamic, it just tends to be more stable than cache.