[Fwd: Discovering File System Corruption]

Bret Walker bret-walker at northwestern.edu
Tue Jan 10 06:42:22 PST 2006

I have a 6.0-RELEASE-p1 box with a GENERIC kerbnel that I'm having some
trouble with.

I recently reconstituted the machine from being a 5.4 box. I didn't
upgrade, I reinstalled.

When I was trying to install tripwire, kept getting this message:
"./bin/i386-unknown-freebsd_r/siggen missing. Build did not complete
successfully.
*** Error code 1"

I CVSupped a few times, even deleting the tripwire directory completely
and letting CVSup re-add it. I finally fixed the problem by copying the
missing file from another box.

The maintainer of the the port wrote to me:
" The missing files were missing from the distfile extraction, not the port.
The distfile failed to extract properly. That indicates that either tar
failed (unlikely) or that you have some kind of filesystem problem. You
have a problem much more serious than a mere port that failed to build."

I have run fsck in single user mode many times, each time coming back clean.
I ran fsck -f -p, to make sure I wasn't having any problems like this (
http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/freebsd-current_2003/msg04802.html ).

How can I determine what is going on? Do I have filesystem corruption,
or is something else going on?

Thanks,
Bret