Spamcop listed - need help to diagnose why

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 10 05:20:32 PST 2006

From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at toybox.placo.com>

Sonny, you define it your way and I'll define it mine. The object
is to not bug the user with spam. The secondary object is to keep
the machine load for spam as low as possible. You have a priority
inversion there.

> I've never been a fan of post-filters for this reason.  For some
> kinds of filtering - like content filtering for example - that
> is the only way you can do it.  But I think it the height of
> strangeness when SA checks blacklists and such to assign scores.
> If they really cared about spamfiltering, they would use the
> IP blacklists in the way they are intended - to block access
> completely to the spammer, not even let them connect to the
> server at all.  The mail that SA is assigning scores on based on
> an IP blacklist shouldn't even be in the SA filter to begin with.

People do that and discover they have blocked paying customers and
the like. If you are going to raw block on black lists at least
setup a scoring system that has some wide testing behind it.

>>> Denying the spam before it's even accepted into the server is a
>>> much better way.  Unfortunately, a content filter means you have to
>>
>>If you can make fetchmail do that you're pretty clever, kemo sabe.
>>

> No, but I can replace the Rube Goldberg fetchmail arraingement your
> using with a real mailserver that is on the Internet all the time
> and can make use of blacklist servers and such.
>
> And yes, I'm just as good at making smart-alecky comments as you
> are.  Probably better at it, actually.  Do you want to knock it
> off and go back to the technical merits discussion now? ;-)

I happen to put a priority on other things. "Good enough is good enough."
If I were to get into serious tinkering it would be with software defined
radios rather than the mail system when it's working perfectly well for
the needs here at this site. Of course, YMMV.

{^_^}