memory requirement

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Thu Jan 5 00:30:13 PST 2006

azri abdul majid wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I am a linux user and I am very interested on trying FreeBSD. I just
> curious about one matter. Currently I have an old linux machine with
> 15GB Hdd, 64MB RAM, 266MHz Intel Celeron Processor. I just want to use
> FreeBSD for my academic research. Can FreeBSD running smoothly using
> my machine. What is your recommendation?.
> --
> Azri

Hi.

FreeBSD will run on that hardware just fine. I still have FreeBSD
installed on machines as slow as 166MHz/96MB RAM and they perform just
fine for lower load server applications. Keep in mind a few things though:

1) Compiling software will be quite slow. In your case, you may want to
consider using the binary packages system for installing most software
instead of compiling via ports.

2) I have not personally used X on anything less than a 500MHz machine.
You didn't say if you wanted a GUI or not, but I cannot say how that
experience would be with your hardware.

3) I recently found one of my old Cyrix 233MHz machines with 32MB RAM.
One thing that I know would help it's performance would be more RAM. It
boots and functions fine, but it does get a bit sluggish. Just make sure
to give it ample swap space and put in as much RAM as you can.

I'm not sure what type of research you were planning so I think that's
about all I can say for now.

Hope that helps.

-Mark

--
GnuPG Public Key:
http://www.mkproductions.org/mk_pubkey.asc

Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com
Rock 101.9 The Edge (Rock) - http://www.rock1019.net

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)