Installing PostgreSQL as a package

Mike Jeays mike.jeays at rogers.com
Wed Jan 4 19:57:13 PST 2006

I am having trouble installing postgresql80-server on a 6.0 machine.  It
complains that it is incompatible with postgresql-client-7.4.8. This
can't be deleted because it is a dependency of koffice and kde, so I am
reluctant to force the deletion.

I forced the install of postgresql80-server, but it hasn't created
anything in /usr/local/pgsql, and I haven't yet been able to get it to
run.

Should I try compiling it from source, or is there something obvious I
have missed?  I have created the pgsql account.