FreeBSD 6.0 AMD64 Dont Detect My PCIExpress Card...? Radeon X300.

Björn König bkoenig at cs.tu-berlin.de
Tue Jan 3 01:20:18 PST 2006

perikillo schrieb:
>   Hi people.
>     I have this motherboard:
>
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=652
>
>    K8N Neo4 AMD64
>
>    I install freebsd 6.0 AMD64, the installation was easy. The
> problema is my VGA card is one PCIExpress ATI Radeon X300, i install
> suse 10 on the same computer and suse detect the card, i say if suse
> can bsd can, but no :-(

There is no reason for this conclusion.

> , on the BIOS i dont have the option PnP OS =
> YES or NO, i have 2 options for the VGA card:
> PCIE or PCI, and IRQ Auto and Manual, i test both Auto and Manual, but
> still didnt detect my card.

What do you mean with detection of the card? How do you determine
whether the card has been detected or not?

>     I read the NOTES file and found two options:
>
> drm
> radeondrm

These are for 3D support, but "man radeon" says that your card isn't
supported in this regard by this driver.

> [...]
>
>    If iam correct pci5 is my the PCIE card...? But dont see nothing
> that say PCIExpress Card...?

This is not a problem because PCI express devices appear as regular PCI
devices.

>    I have 2 options, find another VGA card compatible with freebsd or
> continue locking for help and maybe the results would not be good ?

Buy an Nvidia card if you need 3D support necessarily, because Nvidia
offers drivers for FreeBSD. ATI does not; they support Linux only.

The third option would be to do it without 3D support. This should work
always. If you have problems with configuring the X Window Server then
/var/log/Xorg.0.log might be helpful. :-)

>    Another thing is that, if i compile the GENERIC kernel deleting
> some fields but let the 3 options for Firewire support, make send me
> errors and dosent finish...?
>
> [...]

Most likely you deleted some options that are necessary for firewire
support. I can't say more unless you tell the error message and your
kernel configuration file.

Regards
Björn