umass detected, but da is never created

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 21:57:22 PST 2006

On 12/24/05, Philip Lykke Carlsen <plcplc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have this external harddisk kit, and when I plug it in, the system correctly
> recognizes it as a umass.. but afterwards, the da device is never created..
>
> this is what I get from the console:
>
> umass0: vendor 0x05e3 USB TO IDE, rev 2.00/0.33, addr 2
> umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
> umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
>
> Also, the very same thing but the timeouts are happening if I connect an Apple
> iPod..
>
> And for the record, I had this problem with both the generic and my custom
> kernel.. both with umass,da,ses,pass compiled in..
>
> Any ideas as for how to solve this?
> Any guidelines and I'd gladly edit the files in question and submit a patch,
> when I get it working..
>
> PS, Any other usb-drive I've tried has worked without problems..

I was having a similar problem with my new ipod... it would stall here:
umass0: Apple iPod, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2

After two hours of frustration (pissed off) I decided to repeatedly
unplugged and re-plug the device cable in... To my surprise it started
working!!!

umass0: Apple iPod, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <Apple iPod 1.62> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers

The trick is to rapidly (without being careless) unplug / replug the
device in 2 or 3 times... My mainboard is an Intel 845GBV with ICH4,
USB settings in BIOS are set to defaults.

uname -a:
FreeBSD spectra.intranet 6.0-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p1 #2: Mon
Jan  2 22:26:01 CST 2006
root at spectra.intranet:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/Info-Matic  i386

Kernel config file:
#
# Info-Matic -- Generic kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/i386 Info-Matic
#       Appends system specific options to the generic kernel
#

include GENERIC

ident           Info-Matic

# System Management Bus
device          smb
device          smbus
device          ichsmb

# Sound Support
device          sound           # PCM audio device infrastructure
device          "snd_emu10k1"   # SoundBlaster Live! and Audigy PCI bridge devic

# Video Support
device          "radeondrm"     # ATI Radeon Direct Rendering Module
device          drm             # Direct Rendering Module
options         VESA            # Full VESA BIOS support
options         SC_PIXEL_MODE   # Console raster text mode (VESA graphic modes)