Kernel Compilation...

Adam Nealis adamnealis at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 2 10:00:15 PST 2006

--- Crispy Beef <crispy.beef at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Adam Nealis wrote:
> > --- Crispy Beef <crispy.beef at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Hi All,
> >>
> >>Just joined this list.  The last time I used FreeBSD was with 4.6-RELEASE, so
> >>a while ago now.  I have just installed 6.0-RELEASE on my old laptop and have
> >>been configuring the system, am onto the kernel at the moment, have followed
> >>the traditional method in the FreeBSD handbook.  All works fine (make depends)
> >

> > Yesterday I installed 6.0-RELEASE from ISO, then used cvsup to upgrade
> > to 6.0-STABLE. I followed the steps given in /usr/src/Makefile:
> >
> > 1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
> > 2.  `make buildworld'
> > 3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
> > 4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
> > 5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
> > 6.  `mergemaster -p'
> > 7.  `make installworld'
> > 8.  `mergemaster'
> > 9.  `reboot'
> >
> > Is this what you did? Can youprovide the precise steps you followed?
> >

> Here's what I did:
>
> 1.    Install from CD (6.0-RELEASE)
> 2.    Got latest kernel src with sysinstall

Hmm. cvsup might be better. Having said that, when I cvsup'd 6.0-RELEASE
after installing from CD, there were only one or two files updated. But
my version went from 6.0-RELEASE to 6.0-RELEASE-p1.

The other thing is you don't appear to have run buildworld. This step
uses the 6.0-RELEASE source in /usr/src to build userland and gcc and
so on. I'm not sure, but I think you have to use the compilation tools
from buildworld to create your new kernel.

> 3.    cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> 4.    Created my own config file (LAPTOP)
> 5.    Did a /usr/sbin/config LAPTOP
> 6.    Moved into compile directory (/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/LAPTOP)
> 7.    Did 'make depend'

Did you do

make cleandepend; make depend ?

> 8.    make
>
> At this point it failed...

I'd be inclined to start from the beginning, going through the steps
given in usr/src/Makefile

> This machine has run Linux for the past few months compiling various things.

Cheers,
Adam.