Find Syntax

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Mon Jan 2 09:10:58 PST 2006

On 1/2/2006 8:35 AM Adam Nealis said the following:

>--- Drew Tomlinson <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to find all files with a modification time older than three
>>weeks ago.  In reading the find man page and searching Google, it seems
>>the time returned by 'ls -l' is mtime.  Thus I construct the following
>>command:
>>
>>find . -not \( -newermt 3w \) -exec ls -l {} \;
>>

>find has -ls as a built-in, so no need to do -exec ls -l {} \;

Thanks.  I tried it with '-ls' but the output wasn't formatted in a
manner that was easy on my eyes.  '-exec ls -l' keeps the date in the
same column and is easier for me to scan as the output scrolls by.

>I'm not sure what you mean by "-newermt" as a flag. Though "-newer mt"
>would mean "newer than the file mt", in which case the "3w" part is not
>appropriate.

I interpreted the man page to mean the '-newermt' was files with a mtime
that is "newer"  than the time spec.  Since what I really wanted was
"older", I added the '-not'.

>Do these do what you need to?
>
>find . -mtime +21 -ls
>
>or
>
>find -mtime +3w -ls

Kind of.  Please see my reply to Kevin Brunelle.

Thanks,

Drew