Find Syntax

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Mon Jan 2 09:03:43 PST 2006

On 1/2/2006 8:37 AM Kevin Brunelle said the following:

>On Monday 02 January 2006 11:19, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to find all files with a modification time older than three
>>weeks ago.  In reading the find man page and searching Google, it seems
>>the time returned by 'ls -l' is mtime.  Thus I construct the following
>>command:
>>
>>find . -not \( -newermt 3w \) -exec ls -l {} \;
>>
>>But it returns files that are newer:
>>
>>-rw-------  1 nobody  nobody  35292 Dec 29 08:43 totContactedRcvdPeers.rrd
>>-rw-------  1 nobody  nobody  35292 Dec 29 08:43 totContactedSentPeers.rrd
>>-rw-------  1 nobody  nobody  35292 Dec 29 08:33
>>./dc0/hosts/207/106/6/90/pktSent.rrd
>>
>>I've tried various placement of the '-not' and the )'s but I can't get
>>it right.  What am I missing?
>>

>Have you tried
>
>find . -mtime +3w
>
>I don't know about the other syntax but this is what I find to be the
>simplest.

Thanks for your reply.  I tried your syntax as:

find . -mtime +3w -exec ls -l {} \;

It returned nothing as I expected.  But then reduced it to one week as:

find . -mtime +1w -exec ls -l {} \;

which didn't seem to work because these (amongst many others) were returned:

drwx------  2 nobody  nobody  512 Dec 27 14:03 102
total 2
drwx------  3 nobody  nobody  512 Dec 26 08:03 9
total 2