getting virtual consoles to work reliably with X

Chris bsd at 1command.com
Tue Feb 28 21:59:36 PST 2006

Greetings,

Quoting Heliocentric <heliocentric at gmail.com>:

> I've admined a network of FreeBSD 5.4 desktops for a few months now,
> and I've noticed that when an X server crashes hard, it will no longer
> respond to the control-alt-fn sequences, and not pass them down to
> whatever handler is called to switch virtual consoles.

Have you tried Ctrl+Alt+Backspace? I have used this successfully in the
past when
X froze. Also, if X barfed and left you at a blank terminal with no
Ctrl+Alt+Fn,
You might try Ctrl+d. That will log out and place you at a login terminal.
There-by giving you a fresh (clean) session.

Hope that helps.

--Chris