release tag for ports

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Tue Feb 28 01:09:36 PST 2006

Hi All,

Another FreeBSD Newbie question pertaining to ports.

based on the example ports-supfile
in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile

[snip]
*default release=cvs tag=.
[/snip]

What I would like to know if there are any other versions of the ports.
meaning, say eg: programA, there is version 1.0, 1.0.2, 1.1 etc..

Is there such thing as RELENG_6 RELENG_6_1 or something like this? Or is
there only going to be 1 and only 1 version of ports? (I think there
_is_ an option, only that I don't know. I've searched through the
handbook, but I've only found references to the example ports-supfile
with the "tag=.")

let's take gnome as an example, there's version 2.10/2.12/2.13 etc. Do
I,the user, have a choice to be able to upgrade to any of the 3 versions
as I see fit?

Thanks.

I'll google it up when I get home to an I-net connection.

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!